How to start backing up UBIFS on the NanoNote?

Riley P mrrhq1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 12:39:37 EDT 2013

I am running Debian on my Nanonote. I just flashed a Debian Sid image onto
there.

So, I've been trying to help study the problem of the lack of ability to
backup and restore a NanoNote UBIFS image with xburst-tools utilities.
Here's what I've got so far....

The utility xbboot is a simple compared to usbboot, which has a couple
notable functions: bulk_read and bulk_write.

And xbboot can only be run after the device is put into USB boot mode.

If someone can write a stage 1 and 2 implementation with software that will
provide a dumping toolchain after:

usbboot -c boot

Then xbburst can overwrite a modified/different stage 1 and 2 on the
specific memory addresses, which should allow the UBI root filesystem and
kernel uImage to be dumped for backup with bulk_read, and restored with
bulk_write. So it needs read/write access.

Anyone could also write a C program using libusb with OpenWRT or Debian on
the Nanonote to do this while the OS is running (hopefully in memory). It
would be difficult to do a restore the system is running, however. And some
things shouldn't be backed up and restored, like /dev, /sys, /mnt, /media
and /proc for example...

My final idea is to back up everything on an SD card formatted with UBIFS.
To do this, first the mtd-utils package must be installed, then use.

fdisk -l
[partition the SD card]
mkfs.ubifs [/dev/sdcard]
[put SD card in nanonote and do this]
mount [sdcard] /mnt
rsync -av {/boot,/etc,/home,/usr, [...]} /mnt
umount /mnt

And finally the card could be written somehow, using a utility like dd or
another utility that I don't happen to know about, to create a UBI image.

There's my three ideas. Anyone else have any good ideas?