anelok: main case, top: the paint job [3/4]

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Sun Dec 1 21:58:06 EST 2013

The final step is to paint the case. Since this is a first trial and
I only have the top part so far, I didn't bother with making the
sides look nice.

I forgot to take a picture after applying the mask. I basically
"flooded" the entire window area, masked the two steps at the edge
and the top part of the wheel opening, and put a drop on the LED
column.

While waiting for the paint to dry, I gave it a first look. One issue
I noticed are light leaks at edges:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/case-top-leaks-1.jpg
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/case-top-leaks-2.jpg

This is with an exaggerated constrast. Basically all the bright white
thin lines that look like reflections are areas where the paint
didn't stick.

Some of them are on the border where the paint will be removed
anyway. But some are on steps on the inside and may actually be
visible. This should be fixable by sanding these very sharp edges the
mill makes.

This is what the painted top part looks like:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/case-top-painted.jpg

After removing the mask:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/case-top-stripped.jpg

The jagged lower right corner of the window was probably caused by
too much paint accumulating when I tried to cover the edges. The
thick layer of paint then didn't let the mask go off without a fight.

And this is what it looks like with the PCB inside:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/case-top-active.jpg

Unfortunately, with the dead display, I can't make it show something
more interesting.

The diffuse reflections on the window are noticeable. So I'm not done
yet with finding the right polishing formula.

Another thing I don't like is that the clear border looks very wide.
In fact, it is wider than in the Y-Box. I've illustrated the wall
designs in

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/walls.pdf

"A" are two overlapping case halves. "B" adds a PCB by simply
extending the walls to support the board. This is what I've used for
the Anelok case. "C" is something I tried later (though the Y-Box got
built earlier): only one case half goes across the PCB.

"C" yields slender walls but has the disadvantage that one of the
thin walls is taller than the other. The Y-Box feels reasonably
solid, so I think this is something worth exploring.

Next: conclusions.