anelok: main case, bottom (and more)

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Sun Dec 8 12:26:23 EST 2013

Bas Wijnen wrote:
> so now it's actually comfortable.

Congratulations, and welcome to the club of happy KiCad users :-)

> Anyway, I'm posting  here because I had a question about anelok: all the
> pieces fit together nicely, but AFAICS they will fall apart the moment
> you stop holding them.

It takes a bit of force to separate them. E.g., I plugged a cable
into Micro USB and added weights for a total of about 63 g so that
the PCB would be pulled down and push against the bottom shell.
Then, holding Anelok by the top shell, I had to shake it a little
before the two case parts separated.

>  How do you intend to hold them together?  With
> screws or glue?  Or did I miss some snapping parts?

The friction between the side walls is strong enough to keep it
together under light mechanical stress. I can even vary that by
changing the clearance between the walls. The force comes from the
case parts flexing and can be quite strong without producing much
of a curvature.

But in the long run I don't want to rely just on that. I think
2-4 screws would be best to keep things safely in place.

The snapping mechanisms common in industrial products need
undercuts, which are something I can't make easily with my mill.

A 4-axis mill could do such things and with either a 4-axis mill,
a precise double-sided process (mine isn't), or a multipart (> 1)
mold (to be investigated) could do something like described here:

http://www.grzsoftware.com/blog/how-to/machine-undercuts/