anelok competitor?

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Dec 10 15:31:37 EST 2013

Felix wrote:
> I don't like the idea of smart-card reading with microcontroller,

I don't quite understand the role of the smart card there. It seems
that the MCU also contains secrets (keys), so they would both have
to be "trusted" ? That seems a bit odd.

It seems to depend on USB for power, so it won't work for offline
use (at ATMs, etc.) Also, the Arduinism is getting a little boring
and it means that they won't have room to do much in that device.

Maybe they'll do something interesting with the protocol
architecture, though. Seems that everybody is using HID to escape
USB driver hell of legacy systems these days, and it'll be
interesting to see if somebody finds a way to use this interface
without requiring native code. I.e.,

"On the software side, we’ll ‘only’ need to write a simple script
 running on the users’ browsers." [1]

According to [2], there is no easy solution for this.

[1] http://hackaday.com/2013/12/06/developed-on-hackaday-lets-build-some-hardware/
[2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15535409/write-data-to-usb-hid-using-javascript-html5-or-any-cross-platform-language-s