Ya Nanonote

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Wed Feb 27 08:14:07 EST 2013

Rafael Ignacio Zurita wrote:
> What about something like a kickstart project to solve the money problem?

We had some discussions about how to finance possible future
activities in the Qi-Hardware universe not too long ago. From
them, I didn't get the impression that people felt their wallet
was burning a hole into their pockets :)

In other words, the appeal of the Qi-Hardware project and the
Nanonote platform seems to have largely faded, and any
hypothetical future attempt would have to start from near-zero.

Things that speak against Kickstarter are also that:

- a Ya would require a substantial R&D effort, while Kickstarter
  is all about production of already finished designs. (There
  are other crowdfunding platforms that are more flexible,
  though.)

- the natural choice would have been for Sharism to be in charge
  of the project, but Wolfgang strongly dislikes community
  pre-financing.

- Kickstarter are very US-centric.

- it may not be possible to accurately predict the final per
  device cost and/or feature set. For example, final component
  availablity and pricing and also manufacturing cost can only
  be determined when you actually negotiate an order.

- since Kickstarter and such don't have progressive funding,
  you need a team that can commit to be available until the
  funding succeeds and money becomes available, and that can
  take the risk of the funding not succeeding.

> Money, skilled people (you need money for them) and time I guess.

If you have enough money, you can solve almost every problem ;-)