UBB pattern generator

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Jan 16 18:49:28 EST 2013

On Wednesday 16 January 2013 16:42:06 Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Let's make more interesting things with UBB, for example a pattern
> generator. This uses the MMC controller and DMA to obtain precise
> timing.

This sounds like the kind of thing that could be used to drive various ICs
such as various flavours of RAM (before making a suitable circuit to do the
job the "proper" way, of course). Am I correct or completely wide of the
mark?

[...]

> The external hardware is very simple. The only external circuit
> the pattern generator needs is a resistor that pulls down CMD to
> fake a response from the device.

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/ubb/patgen/ubb-patgen-adapter.jpg

Very neat soldering: much neater than what I've managed to achieve! Yes, I
ordered a couple of UBBs to play with, and I'm hoping to actually try one of
them out now that the wiring and soldering is hopefully complete.

Paul