UBB pattern generator

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Thu Jan 17 06:35:45 EST 2013

Paul Boddie wrote:
> That's a nice diagram, but I tend to find that the practice is much more
> tricky than the theory.

Practice makes the master :-) But yes, having the isolation rest
on the PCB and thus act as a spacer makes the cables trickier to
solder than one may expect. It surprised me, too :-)

What helps against solder bridges and such is flux. With small
stuff, the best way to remove bothersome solder is usually to
add flux, heat the problem area, and "paint"/draw the solder to
a less crowded space. A bit of solder will typically stick to
the iron, so you can actually remove small amounts that way.

> I more or less have the isolation ending at the edge now, with a fair length
> of exposed wire, but the continuity testing suggests that there isn't any
> crosstalk. Maybe active use will indicate crosstalk, however.

The presence of the isolation should have only a very minor
effect on crosstalk. The main risk would be shorts in reponse
to mechanical stress or caused by "free" strands.

> I did initially consider getting an accelerometer I have that
> works with Arduino to work with the NanoNote, but that simple project relies
> on the analogue pins on the Arduino to actually work,

Seems that all the modern ones are digital anyway. E.g., the
ST LIS3DHTR seems pretty capable and is considerably cheaper than
some of the old analog ones.