Arduino Yún

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Jul 5 06:28:08 EDT 2013

On Friday 05 July 2013 05:15:29 Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross wrote:
> So the wifi really is free? I can't find any thing of the forum. I knew
> about this but had not realised what it meant, so thank you for posting.

I don't know how free/open the wireless stuff is. The announcements mention an
OpenWrt variant called "Linino", but who knows whether there's a proprietary
firmware blob involved?

For Arduino people, the more interesting part of the announcement is perhaps
that you can get a board with 802.11 for $69 which combines traditional
Arduino boards (Duemilanove, Uno) with something that does wireless and is
more than just an application-specific controller.

Paul

P.S. On the subject of firmware blobs, I saw this very interesting piece of
news about Raspberry Pi and their blob recently:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3534

As people said from the beginning, if the people who control the blob take
their toys away then "playtime" is over, especially when you can't match the
firmware knowledge to available RAM components when making your own. But this
would also need the project to be open hardware and for normal people to have
a chance of getting the other components as well, of course.