Ubuntu Edge and Open Hardware

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Jul 26 08:28:21 EDT 2013

Hello,

Suspecting that we all like to keep up-to-date with things like new hardware
initiatives, how people are raising funds to make their hardware, and so on, I
suppose it's worth referring to the recently announced Ubuntu Edge campaign.
For those of us interested in open hardware and not merely a parade of new
gadgets, I tried to formulate some opinions about this topic in the following
article:

Ubuntu Edge: Making Things Even Harder for Open Hardware?
https://blogs.fsfe.org/pboddie/?p=366

What interests me more than how easily people can raise money for things - in
this case, something which has a substantial lack of specific details - is the
level of collaboration between open hardware projects. Is there any way
existing projects can work more effectively together or are these projects so
fundamentally incompatible that there really is only limited potential for
collaboration?

Anyway, I'll let you get back to your scheduled Qi-Hardware programming...

Paul