Ya nanonote

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Mar 5 11:16:48 EST 2013

Paul Boddie wrote:
> I don't mean 3D printing, which is promising but not really suitable for even
> moderate levels of production or for every aspect of the physical form of a
> device, as far as I understand it.

Of course, if people are considering gutting some other product
just for the case, 3D printing or (better) CNC milling suddenly
does look cost-effective again ;-)

The problems with scavenging existing products are:
- making changes is hard if not impossible,
- you don't have the CAD files,
- it may be difficult to ensure availability of the case over
  the life cycle of your product, and
- depending on the degree of scavenging, this may get very
  expensive.

If you have full design control, then you have a lot more options.
E.g., you can choose to make high-cost/low-volume/medium-quality
cases first (CNC or 3D printing), then low-cost/medium-volume/
low-quality (the cheap end of injection molding), and later go for
better quality (higher-end injection molding).

Also, if you have full design control, anyone who wants to make a
change for some special application has the option of using a
high-cost/low-volume process.