Ya nanonote

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Mar 5 21:32:58 EST 2013

Paul Boddie wrote:
> I'm sure the lack of host pin connectivity was mentioned explicitly somewhere
> in a mailing list message, but I can't find it at the moment.

Yes, what I meant is that I don't know where exactly the missing link
is located. If the bonding is there but the pads are not routed
outside the blob, then you'd "only" have to strip the epoxy, which
may be feasible [1], given enough patience, no fear of nasty
chemicals, and enough Bens to destroy while figuring out a process
that doesn't do excessive damage to anything else.

If the bonding isn't there, then you'd have to solder two tiny little
wires to the chip as an added challenge.

[1] http://www.epotek.com/SSCDocs/techtips/Tech%20Tip%208%20-%20Reworking%20Cured%20Epoxy.pdf

> It's actually an Arduino shield:

Ah, very high-level :) You should also be able to do at least
low-speed USB with UBB and bit-banging, similar to V-USB [2].
Full-speed may be more of a challenge, given the very tight response
times of USB.

[2] http://www.obdev.at/vusb/

> Indeed. A thought did just occur to me about the availability of digital
> camera screens and their similarity to the screen used on the NanoNote.

Yes, that's a strategy that works well if you're too small to get a
direct deal with an LCD maker: find a product common enough that
companies are making third party replacement screens for it. Then
you can use that, and are likely to be able to find replacements
(possibly from a different source, so characteristics may differ)
for a while.

E.g., the Dash GSP navigation system, which was partly developed at
Openmoko -  used a PSP display, which is available from a number of
sources. (That saved our bacon once when we needed to get screens
in a hurry. I think we found them at Mouser, albeit at a somewhat
outrageous price.)