Ya nanonote

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Mar 6 19:08:28 EST 2013

On Wednesday 06 March 2013 21:06:17 Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 11:54:10PM -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> > Yes, that's a rather unfortunate effect of using a display with
> > a delta matrix:
> >
> > http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/LCD#pixels
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_geometry
> >
> > Definitely a "feature" you'd want to get rid of while changing
> > the LCD.
>
> Why was this display chosen for the Ben, then? I haven't seen
> such a display on any other device, so I assume it's more difficult
> to source compared to a more "standard" display. Just wondering.

It's amusing looking at the different layouts because it is somewhat
reminiscent of image sensor layouts which have their own tradeoffs in terms
of resolution and handling of detail (and noise, which is not as much an
issue here). Perhaps some of the same arguments apply: it would depend on
what kinds of data the screen was originally intended to show.

Paul