Ya Nanonote

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Wed Mar 6 22:16:17 EST 2013

Paul Boddie wrote:
> how fragmented things still are in the open hardware world,

I think a large part of this "fragmentation" is just natural,
since different projects will have different requirements and
you also have to freeze your design at some point if you want
to actually make something.

Each feature that's waiting on the roadside to be picked up
has a cost that goes well beyond materials. The more extra
weight you add, the higher the risk your project will run
into trouble.

Therefore, I think it's quite alright if there's diversity at
that level. But I'd agree that there are other areas where
cooperation could be easier and more common, for example at
the design level.

Barriers there are often created by poor communication and
documentation, use of proprietary tools, and accepting rules
that prevent sharing (such parts with essential documentation
under restrictive NDAs).