Ya Nanonote

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Mar 17 10:18:22 EDT 2013

On Sunday 17 March 2013 02:35:11 Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross wrote:

> On 28/02/13 06:48, Rafael Ignacio Zurita wrote:
> > Then, how do you think EOMA is the answer for a next YA NAnonote?
>
> Designers would focus on the case and features, functions. The wish-list
> is no longer add more ram or more computing power. It's a improved
> keyboard, A covert(as in spy) mic on the lid for covert recording. FM
> transmitter (boom boxs = wireless speakers), colour eink screen, etc

Taking the proposed EOMA solutions and using them for other kinds of devices
does invite a degree of skepticism about whether they are appropriately
optimised for those devices, but the availability of solutions that are good
enough does bring about the possibility of being able to concentrate on these
other aspects of the device.

In other words, if there's some kind of EOMA solution that could have a device
built around it, even if some of the hardware details are not exactly what
people would have done otherwise - for example, usage of USB internally to
connect various components - the mere availability of a standard for these
hardware modules and the prospect of these modules shipping in high volumes,
especially if you take all the different variants together and assume that
many of them will be usable, means that it might well become attractive for
people to focus on things like making a case or chassis for different kinds
of device.

I mentioned the crazy portable Raspberry Pi before:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/20/pi-to-go-portable-raspberry-pi/

If there was a hardware module standard, manufacturers of peripherals would be
a lot more tempted to build proper products around them. I suppose it's like
how people are trying to repurpose the Motorola Atrix "lapdock":

http://liliputing.com/2012/06/mk802-notebook-connecting-74-pc-motorola-lapdock.html

> I was not expecting it to be the same size as the ben NN. I was
> expecting it to be a bigger with a wider keyboard :). Regarding SATA, I
> quite like the thought of it have a small sized SSD to put a few hundred
> GB's of FLAC music on :), Bushcraft/survival book's and other info on.
> Long audio recordings. Camera SD Cared dumps, etc.

As I noted before, something like the Ben could drop support for SATA if it
weren't regarded as critical. And as for things like netbooks, I think that
the EOMA-68 initiative is actively targeting this profile, so they have you
covered, I think.

> If you think I should be awarded with a skull of punishment for, lets
> say for: being a ID10T error then please do say.
>

> 1 more post from the backlog done.
>
> BTW ingenic jz4760 eoma-68 card: http://rhombus-tech.net/jz4760/news/

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask whether such things have any impact on
any hypothetical NanoNote roadmap. If that EOMA-68 card were produced, even
though it's bigger than various other potential module types, given that
someone will presumably have done a lot of the hard work towards making a
device, one would really have to think twice about disregarding it and
redoing the work in a more optimised fashion.

Making an open hardware "nanodock" for an EOMA-* card may not play to the
strengths of those following this list, and everyone here could ignore such
initiatives, but that doesn't mean that other communities and organisations
would do so.

Paul