Ya Nanonote

Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross maillist_qi-hardware at aross.me
Sun Mar 17 12:35:58 EDT 2013

On 17/03/13 14:18, Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Sunday 17 March 2013 02:35:11 Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross wrote:
>>
>> On 28/02/13 06:48, Rafael Ignacio Zurita wrote:
>>> Then, how do you think EOMA is the answer for a next YA NAnonote?
>>
>> Designers would focus on the case and features, functions. The wish-list
>> is no longer add more ram or more computing power. It's a improved
>> keyboard, A covert(as in spy) mic on the lid for covert recording. FM
>> transmitter (boom boxs = wireless speakers), colour eink screen, etc
>
> Taking the proposed EOMA solutions and using them for other kinds of devices
> does invite a degree of skepticism about whether they are appropriately
> optimised for those devices, but the availability of solutions that are good
> enough does bring about the possibility of being able to concentrate on these
> other aspects of the device.
>
> In other words, if there's some kind of EOMA solution that could have a device
> built around it, even if some of the hardware details are not exactly what
> people would have done otherwise - for example, usage of USB internally to
> connect various components - the mere availability of a standard for these
> hardware modules and the prospect of these modules shipping in high volumes,
> especially if you take all the different variants together and assume that
> many of them will be usable, means that it might well become attractive for
> people to focus on things like making a case or chassis for different kinds
> of device.
>
> I mentioned the crazy portable Raspberry Pi before:
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/20/pi-to-go-portable-raspberry-pi/
>
> If there was a hardware module standard, manufacturers of peripherals would be
> a lot more tempted to build proper products around them. I suppose it's like
> how people are trying to repurpose the Motorola Atrix "lapdock":
>
> http://liliputing.com/2012/06/mk802-notebook-connecting-74-pc-motorola-lapdock.html
>
>> I was not expecting it to be the same size as the ben NN. I was
>> expecting it to be a bigger with a wider keyboard :). Regarding SATA, I
>> quite like the thought of it have a small sized SSD to put a few hundred
>> GB's of FLAC music on :), Bushcraft/survival book's and other info on.
>> Long audio recordings. Camera SD Cared dumps, etc.
>
> As I noted before, something like the Ben could drop support for SATA if it
> weren't regarded as critical. And as for things like netbooks, I think that
> the EOMA-68 initiative is actively targeting this profile, so they have you
> covered, I think.
>
>> If you think I should be awarded with a skull of punishment for, lets
>> say for: being a ID10T error then please do say.
>>

>> 1 more post from the backlog done.
>>
>> BTW ingenic jz4760 eoma-68 card: http://rhombus-tech.net/jz4760/news/
>
> I don't think it's unreasonable to ask whether such things have any impact on
> any hypothetical NanoNote roadmap. If that EOMA-68 card were produced, even
> though it's bigger than various other potential module types, given that
> [...]

Thanks.

I wasn't thinking of the netbook size. I have one of those and at that
size I would be more interested a tablet & ultra portable laptop in one
portable computer. Like the AI TouchBook.
http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/products/touchbook.htm

The size I had in mind was size of the RPI pocket computer.

I am concerned about power usage/requirements and efficiency but I guess
one can still get several hours battery life using a Rhombus-Tech card.