spidev (was Re: Carabola)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon May 6 04:57:22 EDT 2013

On Monday 06 May 2013 03:03:12 Ron K. Jeffries wrote:

> http://8devices.com/carambola-2

Actually, having surfed around on their wiki, I managed to discover a few
things that I wasn't previously aware of. On an example of using Python with
SPI...

http://8devices.com/wiki_carambola/doku.php/using_spi_from_python

...there's a mention of an SPI library for Python...

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/SPIlib/

...that mentions the spidev API for Linux...

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/spi/spidev

...and then I started to wonder how Werner's recent work fits into that, if at
all. I only ask because if I get round to doing more stuff with the 8:10
port, it might be interesting to consider how the Linux kernel supports SPI
and as a first step to writing a kernel driver, I might want to look into
this (although I'm not totally convinced, given that libubb seems to offer a
reasonable level of abstraction for SPI).

Sorry for taking your thread in another direction, Ron!

Paul