anelok: revisiting Bluetooth, tentative roadmap 2/2

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Nov 23 14:03:39 EST 2013

On Saturday 23. November 2013 18.46.49 Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Paul Boddie wrote:
> > You may have to draw us another diagram. :-)
>
> Here you are :)
>
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/y-combibox.pdf

Not confusing at all. No, sir! ;-)

> > PC -> Y-Box -> Anelok
> >
> > Here, the Y-Box provides bus power like an unpowered hub.
>
> Hmm yes, power but no communication. Of course, unless you actually
> want the communication to be severed, you could just plug the cable
> going from PC to Y-Box directly into Anelok.

Well, I was thinking of the case of Anelok acting as a virtual USB keyboard,
which you probably ruled out early on and I just forgot about it.

In the last version of the communications diagram, I mistook the wireless
Anelok-PC blue communication arrow for some kind of USB communication: I
didn't notice the radiating waves from the PC and Anelok, or perhaps
interpreted them as meaning something else, maybe the NSA backdoors! ;-)

[...]

> USB hubs should be fun ;-) I've been able to avoid dealing with
> them from the programming side so far, but I feel that these days
> of blissful ignorance are counted ...

I doubt that they're that much fun, but you never know. I've seen ridiculously
equipped 12 port hubs or something like that from cheap gadget shops, which
must really be a collection of hubs combined in the same box because I don't
think the USB standard actually allows more than a reasonably small number of
ports per hub.

Paul