anelok: KL25 or KL26

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Sun Nov 24 17:50:19 EST 2013

I just noticed that Digi-Key list KL25 in the configuration Anelok
uses (MKL25Z128VFT4 [1]) as "Contains lead / RoHS non-compliant".

Considering that the data sheet is from 2012, this seems to be
about as likely as finding cosmetic use of radioactive
glow-in-the-dark paint today. (*)

(*) For an example of how perceptions can shift with time, consider
    this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q1gksqqhLU

Alas, I could find neither information to confirm nor to disprove
RoHS non-compliance.

What I did find was that Freescale recently launched a new chip
family, the KL26, which seems virtually identical to the KL25 (they
added I2S and made the SPI shift registers a little wider), which
Digi-Key lists as RoHS-compliant. [2]

Prices are identical. So it would make sense to switch to that one
at some point in time. It is rumored that the FRDM-KL25Z refuses to
program chips that aren't from the KL25 family, which would be
inconvenient at the moment (**). So that would need checking first.

(**) In the long run I want to get rid of the FRDM-KL25Z for flashing
     Anelok and have a custom flash/test rig. Something similar to
     this:

     http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/tmp/lt-pgm-2.jpg
     http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/tmp/lt-pgm-ben.jpg

- Werner