anelok: CAD (was Re: anelok: first prototype design)

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Tue Oct 1 17:48:54 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 06:34:53PM -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Cristian Paul Peñaranda Rojas wrote:
> > Looks nice, where is the CAD file for the case? :-)
>
> Now we get to the tricky bits :)
>
> Regarding tools, I currently see two choices: FreeCAD + ? and
> fped + cameo.

I would use OpenSCAD[1].  It's a programming language (you have to write every
object with its coordinates) for 3-D objects.  You can use any text editor you
like, and it gives you a 3-D view of your model.  It can export to STL (and
several other things, which I haven't used).

The good thing about OpenSCAD (for functional, as opposed to artistic, models)
is that it allows you to define functions, variables and "modules" (sub-objects
to be used zero or more times in the actual model or other modules).  This
means that you can create parametric designs in it; if the next screen is a
slightly different size, you just need to change one number and you have a new
model (assuming you wrote it properly).

There are also many libraries available for it, but I don't think they help you
here.

All 3-D printer software expects STL as input; there are many "slicers" to
convert it to a toolpath.  I'm guessing there are similar options for
STL-to-other_device.

Thanks,
Bas

1. http://www.openscad.org