anelok: CAD (was Re: anelok: first prototype design)

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Oct 1 18:16:18 EDT 2013

Bas Wijnen wrote:
> I would use OpenSCAD[1].

Heh, I knew someone would mention it, though I thought it would be
Paul ;-)

A while ago, I experimented with OpenSCAD and didn't find it very
convincing. [1, 2] Among other issues, it had problems with
coincident surfaces. It also lacks any of the more sophisticated
features of 3D CAD systems, such as filleting. (Of course, the
fped-based 2.5D approach wouldn't have that either.)

FreeCAD uses the OpenCASCADE CAD kernel, which should do better
in both regards.

[1] http://forum.openscad.org/Comparison-of-OpenSCAD-and-Cadmium-in-an-CSG-only-design-td1254.html
[2] http://lists.en.qi-hardware.com/pipermail/discussion/2011-July/008476.html

The general benefits of scripting are also available when using
FreeCAD with Python or fped.