Debian may drop MIPS as an official release architecture

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Oct 4 12:31:11 EDT 2013

On Friday 4. October 2013 06.01.41 Rafael Ignacio Zurita wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 05:17:26AM +0200, David Kuehling wrote:
> >
> > just to let you know that given the very limited amount of people who
> > seem to be available for MIPS-related porting and fixing, Debian may not
> > include architecture MIPS as an official release architecture for Debian
> > Jessie:
>
> What is exactly people available for MIPS-related porting?

Yes, some specifics would be good about what the issues are (without having to
read the whole thread). The summary table is amusing: hurd-i386 comes out
ahead; perhaps we should get hurd-mipsel running on the Ben. ;-)

I've done Debian packaging but haven't managed to graduate to DD status, but
I'd probably lend my effort to helping out if the alternative was no more
Debian on MIPS and thus no more Debian on devices like the Ben.

Paul

P.S. I'm only half-joking about the Hurd on the Ben. With the complete driver
support for Linux, I wonder if it would be feasible to fully support the Hurd
on the Ben as well.