anelok: an ugly case and a bit of randomness

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Mon Oct 14 15:37:12 EDT 2013

Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> I find it amusing that today's xkcd[1] is such a perfect match for this
> mail. I mean, /what are the chances/? ;)

Oh, there's quite a bit of talk about RNGs these days :-)
Just to name a few:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/05/random_number_b.html
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2013-September/021318.html
http://www.scmagazine.com.au/News/356751,leaked-nsa-docs-suggest-dualecdrbg-backdoor.aspx
https://plus.google.com/117091380454742934025/posts/SDcoemc9V3J

The above are fairly hands-on, but the subject is also getting
renewed attention in academia:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/10/insecurities_in.html

There's a lot of Linux in this list but my memory is selective.
I tend to forget about the issues found in closed products since
they can't really be verified and thus can't be trusted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust,_but_verify