project idea: portable password safe

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Tue Sep 10 19:13:35 EDT 2013

On 09/08/2013 06:44 PM, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Yeah, but they could have added a little table with a keycode to
> glyphs mapping. It's not as if the USB protocols would skimp on
> bureaucracy elsewhere ...

Indeed, they could have added a standard report for such a glyph table.

But they probably realized that it would just get ignored, at least by
major OSes (that already have keymaps), and then by the manufacturers
(since it would just add cost), making it useless for the remainder. :P

> EdorFaus wrote:
>> Actually, now that I think about it, I think we're going to need to
>> be able
>> to tell the user that a password can't be typed with the currently
>> selected
>> layout,
>
> Hmm yes, that could happen. There's the Alt+Number trick but I'm
> not sure this works everywhere.

I'm sure that it doesn't (e.g. my Linux-based work PC doesn't do that -
I tried it), and I wouldn't depend on it using a globally consistent
character set either.

> I'd stay away from fancy mechanics. The more moving parts, the more
> things break ;-)

True, true. :)

-Frode