project idea: portable password safe

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Sep 10 22:05:12 EDT 2013

EdorFaus wrote:
> IMO it's best to simply avoid depending on detecting held-down keys,

Yeah, I didn't think of actually using it. I was just surprised
that this feature existed.

> Also, if we use the rotary encoder idea, it doesn't have to be all
> that large or difficult - might still be able to get it close to a
> watch size, if the encoder is small (or mechanically fancy) enough
> (though a small one might be harder to use).

Not quite watch-sized, but small:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/pwsafe/shape-20130909.pdf

Much smaller and it might get inconvenient to use. In fact the
size is quite similar to my Samsung X830, including the diameter
of the jog wheel:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_x830-1681.php

> If password management is possible from the PC, though, I think it
> would be a good idea to have a kind of write lock on the device,

Yes, it should never just take commands from the outside. It may
be too inconvenient to have to confirm every single action, but at
least confirming each increase in the level of access may make
sense.

Hmm, it seems that the kind of Y-cable I was thinking of is hard to
find. So maybe a 2nd port will be needed, just for power ...