setting up the EDA environment for anelok (was Re: pwsafe: MCU selection, first round)

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Mon Sep 16 10:19:08 EDT 2013

I wrote:
> Just
>
> git clone git at projects.qi-hardware.com:kicad-libs.git
> git clone git at projects.qi-hardware.com:ben-wpan.git

This is sufficient for schematics. You'll need KiCad and can then
view/edit the schematics with

cd anelok/hw/
make sch

For the layout, you need a recent version of KiCad (that supports
the new .kicad_pcb board format). You also have to

make -C kicad-libs/components
make -C kicad-libs/modules
make -C ../../ben-wpan/modules

This in turn requires fped. If you don't have that yet,

git clone git at projects.qi-hardware.com:fped.git
make -C fped install

Fped also has a set of prerequisites (nothing overly fancy), which
are listed in

http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/fped/source/tree/master/README

Some distributions also have fped packaged, so you may be able to
use that one. But better to use the latest version.

To do: set up schematics history generation for anelok (so that one
can simply get a PDF without having to set up the whole EDA
environment), similar to what we have for other Qi-Hw projects. That
will need a bit of work, though, since some items may have suffered
bit rot and I'll need to make a parallel install with an older version
of KiCad, since the "batch mode" these tools use has radically changed.