anelok user interface

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Thu Sep 19 15:40:11 EDT 2013

On 09/19/2013 11:31 AM, Felix wrote:
>     I was thinking of the following input scheme:
<snip>
> I'm tempted to do this in javascript to see how it works :P

... heh, I had the exact same idea, and have even (barely) started doing
it, using Processing.js. :P

Won't be quite the same as the device, obviously, as a mouse doesn't
have quite the same form factor (or the integrated screen), but it's
probably about as close as we can get until the device is built.

I haven't gotten anywhere really useful yet though, haven't really had
the time to work on it significantly. So far it just shows an
appropriately sized rectangle (128x64) that I intend to draw the UI
into, and detects mouse scrolls and key presses (to use as "button").
I have some ideas about how to implement more though.

I figured I'd start with a basic menu (scroll up/down, select with
button) and then implement various interface examples (such as the input
idea above) as menu items, so that it's easy to move back and forth to
compare.

Implementation-wise, the main core idea is to create a set of Mode
objects, each of which would implement a UI idea (one for menu, one for
input, etc), and would get exclusive access to GUI and input while
active (so they should include a way to switch to a different Mode).

Kinda like a state machine where each state is a new state machine.

Huh. I just realized - when done, the device could probably (fairly
easily) be made to act as a (non-moving) single-button mouse with scroll
wheel...

Doesn't sound particularly useful, I suppose, but still.

Although, could perhaps be useful for presentations, at least when
combined with the wireless dongle? Press button for next slide, or use
wheel for next-prev, or something like that?

Not sure we'd want to add such a feature to a password safe though...
but maybe keep in mind as a secondary product idea for the same
hardware, just with different firmware (and marketing)? ;)

(My guess is that it'd be more expensive than other such devices already
on the market, so not much point really. :P )

-Frode