anelok user interface

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Thu Sep 19 21:24:24 EDT 2013

On 09/20/2013 12:18 AM, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> EdorFaus wrote:
>> Huh. I just realized - when done, the device could probably (fairly
>> easily) be made to act as a (non-moving) single-button mouse with
>> scroll wheel...
>
> Yes, that should be an easy exercise. You could also add such a
> critter easily to a Ben (via UBB). In fact, with a few diodes,
> even the larger wheel [1] should work on a Ben. Could be a fun
> input device for games ...

Yes, that's an interesting idea...

Heh, reminds me of an old CD-i machine we had when I was a kid, the main
controller (that we used anyway) was a (mid-size) trackball with a
couple of buttons. :)

> [1] http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=-1303&y=-73&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=CKN10345-ND
>      That picture shows the bottom side. For the top view, see the
>      data sheet, page four (labeled C-9).

... huh. I must have missed or misunderstood something, because I've
been thinking of the wheel as being the kind that sticks out the side of
the device, rather same style as the first type you linked to (the
EVQ-WKA001 one). Enough so that it took me a little while to figure out
how this one was supposed to work.

Looking at the shape drawing again now, though, I don't really see how I
could have missed that it can't be that type, but is some type that
sticks out the front - it's pretty obvious.

That's actually one of the reasons I thought of using the mouse scroll
wheel for a UI prototype, as I figured at least the wheel would be
fairly close, even if the rest of the form factor wasn't. Apparently, I
was wrong. :P

> Meanwhile, I've received the first batch of components:

Nice! :)

> I played a bit with the wheels: both feel pretty nice. The steps
> every 15 degree can be clearly felt, so there's good tactile
> feedback - something I miss in my cell phone that has a similarly
> sized wheel.

That's good, should make it much easier to be accurate (compared to if
there wasn't any such feedback).

> Thinking of it, that board could also multiplex a wheel. So the
> whole UI could be prototyped on the Ben while figuring out how to
> do the rest.

That could be quite useful indeed, once we have some code, to get a feel
for how the UI would work with the actual display and input.

But be careful: do you know how many MAME cabinets are never finished,
because the builder hooks up the joystick board to the game computer
"just to test that it works" before finishing the rest? ;)

-Frode