anelok user interface

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Fri Sep 20 01:09:28 EDT 2013

EdorFaus wrote:
> ... huh. I must have missed or misunderstood something, because I've
> been thinking of the wheel as being the kind that sticks out the
> side of the device,

Yeah, that was my very first idea. You'd operate it like a
lighter, with the wheel where the lighter has the spark wheel.

The problems I'd expect with such a design are that it would
have to have considerable thickness for being convenient to
operate (lighters get away with being somewhat thin because you
don't need much control over the wheel) and that there's no good
place for a display unless the device gets really large (and
then the right size would depend on the size of your hand.)

Also, the wheels I found don't stick out very much, so they would
be relatively inconvenient to grab.

> But be careful: do you know how many MAME cabinets are never
> finished, because the builder hooks up the joystick board to the
> game computer "just to test that it works" before finishing the
> rest? ;)

Heh :-) I was actually imagining what a little car racing game
using such a controller may look like :)