anelok: charset and font

Felix sucotronic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 03:04:31 EDT 2013

> EdorFaus wrote:
> > Is there any reason *not* to use UTF-8, and only UTF-8, on the device?
>
> I don't see any. For prototyping, I'd just stick with ASCII and
> worry about the multilingual details later.

Agree with that. Sticking to basic ascii is the easiest way to start.

> > I assume the simplest to implement would be a basic bitmap font, but
> > then we'd probably have to convert some other font to that format,
>
> Yeah. We can use a nice big fast PC for that :)

Curious about this, I search for something already invented, and find a
nice program[1] (windows only, linux needs mono). Also I find a post about
this tool combined with a kerning table[2] that produces a nice looking
result.

[1]:
http://www.pavius.net/2009/07/the-dot-factory-an-lcd-font-and-image-generator/
[2]: