Nanonote End of life

Yann Sionneau yann at minet.net
Sun Apr 6 09:17:19 EDT 2014

Le 12/02/14 18:48, Werner Almesberger a écrit :
> Alan W Black wrote:
>> http://pandoralive.info/?cat=45
> Ah yes, the joy of selecting a SoC :-) And if you really intend
> to go bleeding edge, your life will be even more interesting and
> you'll never want for pain ...
>
> I think Olimex are doing some very nice trailblazing. They don't
> seem to be in cahoots with any major chip maker so it's safe to
> assume that the designs like the ones they make can actually be
> reproduced without having a small army of FAEs permanently set
> up camp in your lab. (Especially OMAP has a certain reputation
> in that regard.)
>
> Did I mention that Olimex even sell the chips they use ? Their
> prices seem to be in the order of what Digi-Key charge.
Taking the thread late...

What's cool is that they even use "modern" chips with a hacker friendly
package (i.e non BGA) :
https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A13/A13-OLinuXino-WIFI/open-source-hardware

This one features a SoC containing a Cortex-A8 @1 GHz but with a
friendly eLQFP176 package
But before buying this kind of chip, you need to take care of checking
which pins are actually bond to the package so that you make sure you
have all the feature you need available. Check for pin muxing as well,
if you need feature A and B but both are pin muxed to the same pin it
can get really tricky...