Y-Box: sending a constant wave

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Thu Apr 24 09:37:44 EDT 2014

Felix wrote:
> Now I'm thinking about this: the CC2541 "officially" supports BLE and has
> 128kb of flash, and the CC2543 doesn't officially support BLE and has 32kb
> of flash.... That means that there will be not enough space for BLE or we
> can rely on stripping features to limit code size?

Yes, I would expect this to be not a big issue. While I don't know
how big a full BTLE stack would be, we certainly only need the
tiniest bits of it, and things like HID tend to be not so huge.

Also, these 128 kB are meant for a full stack plus application plus
data, while we have the 32 kB for BTLE low-level, plus 128 kB in the
ARM for the upper parts, the real application, and near-infinite
memory card storage for bulk data.

The upper parts of the stack could be in either chip, but if they
involve cryptography, it would be nice if the encrypted channel
could go all the way to the ARM, ending inside the "trusted zone"
that chip creates.

This way, attacks on the CC2543 firmware or any (hardware) bugs
planted on the SPI communication would be ineffective.