more ATUSB ?

rakshat hooja rakshat at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 03:45:59 EDT 2014

Hi Werner,

I will discuss this with you further (after a few days - am quite busy with
other work these days). As we have Ben in stock IDA might be interested in
manufacturing (though no promises).

Thanks for posting this.

Rakshat

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 3:47 AM, Werner Almesberger
<werner at almesberger.net>wrote:

> I asked Christoph Pulster and he confirmed that he sold his last
> ATUSB and only has a few ATBEN left. I also asked him if he would
> like to make more but he doesn't want to get into production.
>
> So, does anyone else feel adventurous and would be interested on
> doing this ? All the components should still be available. Maybe
> the manufacturing company that made the PCBAs (PCBA = PCB +
> components + SMT) is still around and has the old films and
> stencils somewhere, in which case there could be a slight discount.
>
> If I got the numbers right, then making the 120 ATUSB PCBAs cost
> about EUR 2510 in 2011. To this add the labour cost of flashing,
> testing, and sales. Of these 120 boards, three had problems
> revealed by production testing. One of these was a soldering flaw,
> one was a missing resistor, and the third an incorrectly placed
> chip.
>
> Details on the boards that failed testing are here:
> http://lists.en.qi-hardware.com/pipermail/discussion/2011-June/008362.html
>
> The production process is roughly as follows:
>
> 1) prepare design files. This can be a reuse of the fab packages
>    from 2011:
>
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/wpan/fab/atben-pcb-110330.zip
>
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/wpan/fab/atben-smt-110330.zip
>
> 2) order the components. Do this before committing to anything
>    else.
>
> 3) get PCBs made
>
> 4) get components SMT'ed
>
> In the case of the boards made by Tuxbrain, the manufacturing
> company did steps 2-4 for him.
>
> 5) separate individual boards from panel
>
> 6) flash the firmware and run the production tests. See
>    http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/wpan/prod/
>
> 7) sell 'em.
>
> For testing, you need a known to be good set of ATUSB and ATBEN
> boards since some of the parameters of the test setup depend on
> the physical arrangement at your site and therefore have to be
> determined there. You also need a Ben, a Linux PC, and a
> programming adapter.
>
> The programming adapter looks like this, though one could make a
> slightly nicer one:
>
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/wpan/tmp/atusb-pgm-20110203.jpg
>
> - Werner

Please use Firefox as your web browser. Its protects you from spyware and
is also a very feature rich browser.
www.firefox.com