Nanonote End of life

Apelete Seketeli apelete at seketeli.net
Tue Feb 11 17:04:58 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb-11-2014 at 02:14:09 PM -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Christoph Pulster wrote:
> > I have 3 units left in stock, after this the Nanonote is past.
>
> This is sad news. I tried a number of times to find out about
> the 1000+ Bens that should at some point of time still have
> existed in the warehouse of a fulfillment center in Hong Kong,
> but my enquiries were ignored.

Didn't have time to report about this before, but while at FOSDEM 2014
in Brussels I helped holding the OpenEmbedded booth during the weekend
there. I brought my Ben Nanonote to showcase on the booth (since I
help maintaining the Linux kernel and OE based JLime distribution for
the Ben) and met people who were interested by the device.

None of the people who came seem to have heard of the Nanonote before,
and everyone asking about it also wanted to know where to buy one: I
pointed pulster.eu and idasystems.net, and felt psyched that people
were amazed by the clamshell form factor and tiny-ness of the Ben
("cute" was the word most of them used to describe it).
Beth Flanagan, release engineer at Yocto Project, even took a photo of
the Ben sitting beside her monstrous 17inch-ish laptop, saying that
the discrepancy was "awesome".

This is sad news indeed :-(.

> In general, I believe the concept of the NanoNote is still
> viable and a properly placed new product with similar
> characteristics could be commercially successful.

Agreed.
Clamshell + keyboard in such a small form factor is a terrific
combination indeed.
I always thought one key feature missing in the Ben Nanonote was at
least USB OTG capability, which would have allowed the use of WiFi
dongles for easy Internet access though.

> On a logarithmic difficulty scale where 1 is "make breakfast"
> (with a breakfast compatible with a liquids-only diet being
> acceptable) and 9 is "manned return flight to a habitable planet
> outside the solar system" (with the provision that the flight
> should still be manned on return), I'd say it's around 3 or 4,
> so it should be quite doable for someone with enough
> determination.
>
> Any takers ? :-)

Got any plan yet once you're done with that Anelok project of yours ? ;-)

--
        Apelete