Nanonote End of life

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Feb 11 19:32:40 EST 2014

James "Xakh" Lynch wrote:
> So. What, realistically, needs to happen to breathe a little gasp of air
> into this project? Not necessarily getting an nn factory running next week,
> but to get a design on the table?

I wouldn't worry much about the circuit. That's the easy part and
it's not so hard to find people who can work on that. Likewise,
software is something we as a community know how to handle.

What the Qi-Hardware community lacks is someone with strong skills
and implementation capabilities on the mechanical side. One
complication is that such characteristics often go with a reliance
on proprietary design tools. So that person would also have to
either come from the context of one of the Free 3D CAD systems
(e.g., FreeCAD, OpenSCAD, etc.) or be at least willing to learn
to work with such a system.

Then you need money. EE and ME are likely to be full-time jobs
and both burn through materials. If you can find people who are
independently wealthy then this makes the cost side much easier,
but don't count on being able to find someone like that.

As a wild guess, I would expect that you'd have to plan on
spending about USD 100k over half a year to make a prototype that
a) functions, b) can be mass-produced, and c) is suitable as a
basis for finding financing for production.

Once you're on a good path to get all this covered, you can
define the remaining tasks, fill the respective positions, and
start working.