Nanonote End of life

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Wed Feb 12 12:48:46 EST 2014

Alan W Black wrote:
> http://pandoralive.info/?cat=45

Ah yes, the joy of selecting a SoC :-) And if you really intend
to go bleeding edge, your life will be even more interesting and
you'll never want for pain ...

I think Olimex are doing some very nice trailblazing. They don't
seem to be in cahoots with any major chip maker so it's safe to
assume that the designs like the ones they make can actually be
reproduced without having a small army of FAEs permanently set
up camp in your lab. (Especially OMAP has a certain reputation
in that regard.)

Did I mention that Olimex even sell the chips they use ? Their
prices seem to be in the order of what Digi-Key charge.

> Though there may be an alternative route, in taking a existing
> board/device (such as Raspberry Pi, or an Odroid device and building
> clam shell round it.

Naw, you want full control over the layout. Even if you'd manage
to cook up something that works with a "generic" board, doesn't
look outright horrible, and doesn't left-shift your budget by
two or three bits, you'd rue the decision the day you do your
first EMC testing.