Nanonote end of life

Delbert Franz ddf at sonic.net
Wed Feb 12 15:27:15 EST 2014

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:26:13 -0300
Werner Almesberger <werner at almesberger.net> wrote:

> Hans Bezemer wrote:
>   snip--------------------------------------
> > - No development system on the Nano itself (like the RasPi).
>
> I never tried to develop locally on the Ben but I'd be surprised
> if we didn't have packages for make and gcc. I know we have vi.

Yes, there is make and a version of gcc.  I have compiled quite
a few programs on the Ben, but generally through ssh from my
desktop computer so I have a full keyboard and a larger
window.  I was able to compile almost all of gsl on the
Ben as well as some benchmark programs.  I wrote a few C
programs, but the major development was done on my desktop,
and then I compiled it on the Ben.

Number crunching on the Ben is similar to a mid-1980's mainframe.

I have used vim on the Ben and it works well within the screen
limitations.

I'm glad I have two of the Nanonotes.  I think I was near the
end of the orders from Sharism CC.  Both are still working
fine.  It was sad that it didn't get more traction.  I
use it almost every day as a music player and as another
back location for my various git repositories.  git runs
fine on it.

>   snip--------------------------
> > - SD card, I never got large SD cards to work, but the small ones were really
> > adding to its usability.

  I have had no problems with 32GB SD cards.  I run from the cards
all the time.  The built in storage is rarely used on my devices:-)

> > - USB networking, that was just awesome! I use WinSCP to transfer stuff all
> > the time.

 Both of my Nano's are almost always connected to my desktop.  The networking
was essential and I use it heavily.

> You get that for free if you have Linux :)
>
> > - Size, it worked just fine the way it was.
>
> Yup. The form factor is part of what makes the Nanonote special.

  I second that:-)  As soon as I saw one, I "had" to have it and now
I have two, just in case one of them fails on me!