EOL strikes again

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Thu Mar 13 14:21:08 EDT 2014

Digi-Key informed me that the Molex 0482580001 and 0482580002 went
End-of-Life (EOL), with a Last-Buy-Date (LBD) of 2014-09-01.

That's the nice mid-mounted USB A receptacle I use in the new Y-Box.
Alas, there's no direct substitute for it. The TE 1746311 would be
a similar-yet-not-identical emergency replacement, but then I'd
really have exhausted all choices. So let's not go there.

This means:

- have to go back to using a top-mounted USB receptacle, which makes
  the device considerably thicker (mid-mounted has about the height
  of the USB connector without much going above or below it while
  top-mounted has "claws" going through the PCB and deep under it,
  adding some 3-4 mm)

- can't design a new case just yet (but the new one will then just
  be a variant of the original one, since the vertical stacking now
  won't change)

- there'll be lots of room under the receptacle, so I can at least
  put a couple of the large test points there, maybe more.

Grrr. That's what I get for talking myself into using a part that
has no identical replacement from a different manufacturer.

General status: trying to get DFU to work. I can read the Flash but
the USB driver doesn't want to accept data for writing. I also
started defining the protocol between the two MCUs, now mainly the
handshake to ensure the master only starts an SPI transfer if the
slave is ready to handle it:

https://gitorious.org/anelok/anelok/source/doc/spi