Nanonote End of life

R Paxton mrrhq1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 16:00:02 EDT 2014

The most unique feature that I like about the Nanonote is the
non-brickable, Ingenic XBurst MIPS CPU. It's so easy to flash the chip over
USB and not be afraid that you're bricking it. I mean, sure, you have the
GCW-Zero which has a slightly faster CPU than the Nanonote, but there's no
freaking keyboard, and there's no replaceable battery!

I will still keep my NanoNote, even though it's end of life. You know why?
One day I bought mine off of Amazon and the battery was pretty much gone.
It was dead in less than 3 months. I was able to replace the battery. If I
can't do that with other devices, it becomes unusable entirely as a good
portable device, period. Just try doing that when the GCW-Zero has its
battery soldered in! Also, keyboard navigation makes more software on the
device more usable. I can use vim to take notes more easily. Try doing that
when all you have is a D-pad. I can just run [some] Dingoo A320 games with
the appropriate libraries. It's a good replacement for even that handheld.

And it's a real same to see this device go, and I hope there will be a good
successor. Maybe I should look forward to the Neo900. I mean, it is ARM
based, which is technically, in some objective ways better than MIPS, but
I'll still keep my Nanonote as long as I can....