New on Anelok TV: capacitive sensing

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Sat May 3 16:26:20 EDT 2014

Felix wrote:
> Of course being able to properly see the screen when "sliding" is a must ;)

Yeah, it would help to determine when to stop :)

> The other options don't allow that.

Not entirely sure about this. One would probably develop a movement
pattern that allows one to see the relevant bits of the screen. But
with the vertical movement, we should be on the safe side in any
case.

> Have the patented that?

Apparently:
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/04/apple-wins-patents-for-their-iconic-click-wheel-iphone-gesturing.html

> Mmmm, maybe contacting Samsung and asking for molding and tooling.... xD

Naw, Samsung's is a largely mechanical wheel. The fewer moving parts,
the better.

By the way, I made a first rough estimate for a north-south-symmetric
(1) Anelok case:

PCB size:	30.3 x 64.5 mm
Usable circuit area (2):
		about 27.3 cm^2
Case size:	33.3 x 67.5 x 8.5 mm
Case volume:	19.1 cm^3

(1) I.e., whether used left- or right-handed, the display is always
    vertically centered. The LED may have to be off-center, though.
(2) For the "core" circuit, without battery and user input mechanism.

For comparison, Anelok v0:

Usable circuit area:
		about 27.0 cm^2
Case size:	84.4 x 29.4 x 10.5 mm
Case volume:	26.0 cm^3

Dimensions have a tendency of growing, but this doesn't look too bad.
There would be two PCBs: one with sensor and battery holder attached
to the top of the case, and one with the rest of the circuit in the
middle. They'd overlap slightly.