Anelok: fatigue and normalization

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Nov 11 15:06:56 UTC 2014

Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> Werner--as always, you share VERY useful info. It's fascinating.

Thanks ! :)

> http://ronkjeffries.withknown.com

Hehe, now we know what you do at daytime, when decent hackers sleep :-)

> I apologize if there is already a way to read qi-hardware emails via a
> direct URL. I am lazy.

But of course there is, and has always been. The mailing list is
archived here: http://lists.en.qi-hardware.com/pipermail/discussion/

For example, the mail that started this thread:
http://lists.en.qi-hardware.com/pipermail/discussion/2014-November/010721.html

And yes, I agree that the presentation could be friendlier. I'm not
a great fan of blogs because they tend to over-linearize things and
contribute to the scattering of information (i.e., before you know it,
you have to follow a list, blog, Twitter, some forum, IRC, and
Facebook just to keep track of what some project is doing.)

But if someone wanted to process my posts into a nice timeline (and
keep on maintaining this for a while), that would make a great feature
for the Anelok site. For example, this is a draft I made a while ago
(just text):

http://pastebin.com/ZbQLSgc4

Each entry in the timeline could have a short title, a small picture,
and then a link to the corresponding article (or other helpful
material), which one can usually find right at that date in the
archive.

Another little documentation project would be to add hover pop-ups
to the block diagrams (they first need updating, though), similar to
what we've done for Neo900:

http://neo900.org/stuff/block-diagrams/neo900/neo900.html

The same mechanism could also be used to make the wireframe drawing
on anelok.com a bit more interesting.

The overall style I'd aim for is to have lots of things click- and
hoverable, just like in real life you can touch and explore pretty
much anything that you can see and that piques your curiosity.

> It reminds me of Donald Rumsfeld's memorable phrase.
>
> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unknown_unknown

I actually like this one, though not quite in the way he used it.
But the concept is something that's often overlooked - often
enough, you first have to learn what the right questions are,
before you can try to get them answered.