idea for a fun little security project

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Nov 18 12:23:28 UTC 2014

Felix wrote:
> I want to ask you Werner what chip (or dev board) you would choose to
> develop a quick proof of concept of this idea.

If you want to use a finished board, you could use one with an STM32
(USB host and device on the same chip), e.g., this one should work
nicely:

https://www.olimex.com/Products/ARM/ST/STM32-H407/open-source-hardware

The libopencm3 project should have suitable drivers for the chip.
Note sure what they have in terms of USB. STM also provide some
interface code, but that one is a little odd.

If making a board from scratch, I'd take two KL2x and (each can be
USB host or device, but not both at the same time) and connect them
to each other. There, I could use my existing firmware from Anelok,
and teach it new tricks. Also, the KL2x pair should be smaller,
cheaper, and may be easier to handle than an STM32.

> I've searched a bit and
> found the FTDI Vinculo2, which has usb host and slave dual connections, but
> unfortunately the toolchain is closed and only for windows :(

Uuh, I'd stay away from FTDI. If you value openness, they're not
your friends.