jz4730 Kernel Support

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Apr 5 17:08:21 UTC 2015

Hello,

Some of you may have spotted me on IRC a few days ago asking about the
mainline kernel and support for the jz4730, as opposed to the jz4720 and
jz4740 that are already supported and whose support is working (with some
extra patches) for the Ben NanoNote.

Since asking for general advice, I've put together some patches that compile
but don't actually get the jz4730-based device to boot, and I posted them to
the mailing list related to that device:

http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/lenny400/2015-April/000041.html

The start of the thread is here, with some more description about what I did
and the possible differences between the jz4730 and jz4740:

http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/lenny400/2015-April/000038.html

At the moment, I'm really looking for advice about things I might have done
wrong or have forgotten to do, more technical than procedural. I don't write
Linux kernel stuff normally, having only dabbled with some drivers a few years
ago, so whilst things like coding style, not using the "right" git command to
output diffs, failure to know Linus Torvalds' shirt size, and so on, are all
useful to remedy in the longer term, I'd be more interested in people pointing
out that I forgot to initialise something vital that might make a visible
difference in the shorter term.

Anyway, I hope the somewhat diminishing enthusiasm of someone willing to look
at Linux on the jz47xx series is encouraging enough for someone reading this
to take a look!

Paul