Why I joined: the NanoNote

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Sun Apr 19 18:45:46 UTC 2015

Hi Mark,

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 10:24:23AM +0100, Mark Tuson wrote:
> I've been a member of this list for something like five years; I
> joined following my purchase of a Ben NanoNote, thinking it might he
> useful to be a member of the community. Help and be helped, and all
> that.

I think this is what the list was intended for, but as you noticed it
moved in a different direction.

> So, I ask, was the whole NanoNote thing a flash-in-the-pan episode
> of wishful thinking? Or was it a real project that simply fizzled
> out?

I can't answer this question.  AFAIK Wolfgang was the driving force
behind it, and he silently disappeared (or at least, I didn't see him
leave, he just never posts on the list anymore).

I believe he meant to produce the next versions.  I don't know why it
didn't work out.

> Last time I asked about it I was told something like 'they
> tried and you're evil for not appreciating the effort that's gone
> into this,' but that's not really a helpful answer.

The first half is true, they did try.  Asking what happened is not evil,
of course.

> Is there a point in me still waiting on this mailing list to see if
> anyone's going to pull their finger out and make the damned thing, or
> what?

You never know what'll happen, but as far as I know, you shouldn't be
waiting for it.  Nobody is working on it, I think, and nobody is even
thinking of working on it.

> The actual reason why I'm writing to you like this is that since the
> project fizzled out to nothing, I've been a member of this list,
> waiting to see what was going to happen, and in the meantime I've
> been constantly bombarded with emails from the list, talking about
> projects I don't care two sugarlumps about.

You're talking about Anelok, I suppose?  I really like those mails.
It's a completely different project, and I'm not sure if I would like to
have one.  But I very much enjoy following the process of developing an
open hardware device.

However, if you don't, I would suggest that you unsubscribe from the
list.  The next version of the NanoNote is not coming anytime soon, it
probably isn't coming ever.

Thanks,
Bas