Why I joined: the NanoNote

Mark Tuson markfptuson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 21:01:28 UTC 2015

My thought is that probably it would have done a lot better if it had been
cheaper - obvious really, but the point is that if more people had bought
it, it would have been possible to do it cheaper, which would in turn have
given it more appeal. At the end of the day, the price wasn't reasonable
considering what you actually got for your money - I paid 99GBP for mine,
and while that wasn't awful in 2010 it's awful now. Basically I'd buy the
same device if it maybe had a little more storage and was more like 20GBP.
But there wasn't enough interest to justify actual mass-production, which I
appreciate.

What did everyone even use it for? I wasn't ever aware, specifically, of
what they were used for. I used mine for prototyping C code while I was out
and couldn't get at a 'real' computer. If it still worked I'd maybe still
be doing that now. But as for geeky projects, I'm now a lot more interested
in seeing how far crystal radio can be pushed. As far as computer hardware
geekery is concerned, I'd like to have a go at designing a simple CPU
architecture - I've got a childish idea of making a computer out of relays
(I know how relay logic works, I just don't have enough knowledge of
architecture design) if I could find relays cheap enough. Maybe I'd
prototype it with 74xx chips. And maybe if it worked I'd publish the
logic/circuit diagrams as open-source.