Anelok: OTF proposal

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Dec 3 13:02:35 UTC 2015

On Thursday 3. December 2015 02.46.03 Werner Almesberger wrote:

> Well, the cool new thing seem to be those two-factor "soft tokens"
> running on smartphones. What could possibly go wrong ? :-)

It's certainly worth considering what these solutions actually offer. My
impression is that the phones have some kind of hardware unit for storing keys
in a similar manner to smartcards [1] - it could well be the SIM that provides
this, given the relationship between SIM and smartcard technologies - and that
phones use this mechanism to issue tokens [2].

All of this from a quick tour of Wikipedia based on previous assumptions and
memories. ;-)

Paul

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_card
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_token