Tests on Y-cables

DING Changchang archang at canaan-creative.com
Tue Jan 6 08:39:43 UTC 2015

Hi, Werner

I have tested two Y-cables Xiangfu bought:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/xiangfu/anelok/y-cable/Y-cable.JPG
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/xiangfu/anelok/y-cable/Y-cable-with-chip.JPG

They both have the ID pin connected to GND in USB Micro B port as the
OTG host.

The first one should meet all the needs:
Works fine when connecting usb keyboard/mouse/disk on the OTG slave (the
standard USB A female)
The power branch does deliver power to both slave and host, only failing
in charging a Nexus5. But it can charge a Nexus4 and power up a RaspberryPi.

One problem is that the power branch has a Micro B female and is not
long enough. But we can connect it with a Micro B male to Standard A
male cable which is very easy to get:
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/xiangfu/anelok/y-cable/Y-cable-full.JPG

The second one has a chip inside.
It cannot work properly when all three ends are in use.

Another cable Xiangfu ordered should arrive in a few days. I will test
it later.

CC