Anelok: fully dressed

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Fri Jan 30 14:32:16 UTC 2015

Rafael Ignacio Zurita wrote:
> Werner, Really great device!  I would buy one just because it looks nice :)

Heh, I was hoping for "because your mind touched it", but I guess I'll
have to work a bit harder to muster up an Apple-like cult following :)

> Which kind of paint did you use?

Humbrol 21 Black Gloss:
http://www.humbrol.com/catalog/product/view/id/905/category/110/

I also tried 85 Coal Black Satin, which looks almost identical but
produced the following curious effect:

- before painting:
  http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/case-2015/case-2015-part8-masked.jpg

  Note the significant tool marks.

- after painting:
  http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/case-2015/case-2015-part8-painted-outside.jpg

  The tools marks are still visible ! And these are not just light
  leaks due to a too thin layer of paint, this is light that never
  even makes it to the paint layer.

Not sure if this is an effect of the paint or whether the tool marks
are just too pronounced for the paint to hide them. It does look
like an effect one could use for something, though :)

Anyway, the two paints look nearly identical in this case since the
glossiness of the Anelok case dominates any reflections from the
paint.

These are thinner-based paints and resist water. I've applied them
with an airbrush, for even distribution.

> Would be that okey for some wood case?

Yes, I think that should work. Note that I've applied the paint on
the inside of the case, so the effect if very different from what
you'd get by painting an outside.