Anelok: revised case (WIP)

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Jul 14 02:22:34 UTC 2015

Bas Wijnen wrote:
> with the new one, I set my printer to extrude less material.
> That solved that
> problem; it fits very well with only minor cleanup on the tabs.

Looks great ! Most of the edges and rims (i.e., the things where
precision matters most) look very clean. The larger surfaces have
a clearly visible texture, but I guess a bit of sanding and/or
acetone could make that less noticeable, too.

Or we let the marketing department extol the virtues of the "Firm
Grip(tm)" special surface treatment. After all, who needs monkey
glass if the device won't slip from your hands in the first
place ? ;-)

On http://wijnen.dtdns.net/~shevek/anelok/2015-07-13/new/back-screwed.jpg
the upper left corner seems to be a bit off. Is the wall bent or
do the two halves not quite fit there ?

How does this plastic respond to sanding and polishing ? Does it
stay black ?

> but I only had longer screws, so I destroyed the front with
> them (but you can't see that on the pictures).

Ah yes, anything with a thread > 7.7 mm is likely to be bad news.

How does the case feel ? Is it stiff enough or does it bend easily ?
Are there any spots that feel as if they may break ? Also, does the
case still close properly if you insert a battery ?

And how long did the printing take ?

This looks like a very good result. The level of quality should be
more than sufficient for developer prototypes, and if a 3D printer
can make a dozen or so cases in a week, we wouldn't have to look for
any fancier (and costly) processes at that point.

Thanks a lot !