Anelok: revised case (WIP)

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Wed Jul 15 01:30:24 UTC 2015

Bas Wijnen wrote:
> The texture on the inside cannot be fixed that way, as
> it isn't on the bottom; it's also not very accessible for sanding.
> Then again, who cares about the inside. :-p

Yeah, anything goes on the inside ;-)

> Acetone works very well for making ABS very smooth, but PLA doesn't
> dissolve in
> it, so it doesn't work at all here.

Hah, this brave man (fearlessly dunking PLA in a bowl of acetone,
with his bare hands and while cursing the fumes filling up his
place) disagrees:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K3E9TU77pE

I have to admit that I couldn't quite tell what imperfections he
tried to get rid of in the first place - the originals already look
frightfully perfect.

Here's another one, this time a bit more safety-conscious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEnz8CWxyjc

And this maybe his secret:
http://www.fabbaloo.com/blog/2014/7/23/how-to-smooth-your-pla-3d-prints#comment-1859654046
He uses PLA that contains a bit of HBS (?) or ABS. If yours is
"pure", acetone may not work then.

Here we have someone use acetone on PLA as a rubberizer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5hxMDr963M
... just to find out (in the comments) that isn't not quite _that_
easy :)

> It's very stiff; I can bend it just a little over the diagonals (I can lift up
> one corner by about 2mm with considerable force).

Okay, that sounds pretty good. We'll have to see how the "glass"
fares. I guess it won't hurt to use a slightly flexible glue, so
that it can redistribute any mechanical stress.

> When it has the back side
> facing up, I can push the cover in by about 1mm, also with a fairly large
> force.

More than sufficient ;)

>> And how long did the printing take ?
>
> Just under an hour, I think.

Awesome ! That's much faster than I expected.