Anelok: revised case (WIP)

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Thu Jul 16 16:35:41 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:30:24PM -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> > Acetone works very well for making ABS very smooth, but PLA doesn't
> > dissolve in it, so it doesn't work at all here.
>
> Hah, this brave man (fearlessly dunking PLA in a bowl of acetone,
> with his bare hands and while cursing the fumes filling up his
> place) disagrees:

Haha, nice!  With ABS, the procedure is to place your part in a box that also
contains a beaker of acetone, so it's surrounded by acetone vapor.  If you'd
submerge it, it'd melt immediately (or so I heard; I haven't actually tried it
myself).

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K3E9TU77pE
>
> I have to admit that I couldn't quite tell what imperfections he
> tried to get rid of in the first place - the originals already look
> frightfully perfect.

I agree.  He says he had sanded it before, so that may have helped.  If you
work hard on it, the heat that you produce probably helps as well.

You asked in another mail about the cost.  The last version weighs 8.7 g.  At
around $30/kg, that's $0.26.  When producing filament from pellets instead of
buying it, it's more like $3/kg, so that would make it $0.03.  Oh, and there's
electricity that's used; that may add another $0.01 to the price. ;-)

Thanks,
Bas